
My 80 year old grandpa died this past week in Utah. He was my dad's dad, and the person on that side of the family who brought the Gospel into our lives. He served the country in the Air Force during the Berlin Airlift and in Korea, and then served the Lord as a missionary with my grandma in countries from Kenya to Yugoslavia to Mexico. He is the only grandpa I ever knew since my mom's dad died when I was only one or two.
He was very excited that I was in medical school so that I could help him and grandma with their problems as they age. I even joked with him on the phone not too long ago that I wouldn't charge them very much to evaluate them during the next time we were together for the holidays.
It can be hard at times to keep in touch often with our older relatives as we are separated by time, distance, and generations. But it's not hard to see how they touch our lives by all they've done so that we as their descendants could have what we do. I am grateful to him for his teachings about the Savior, for his example, for the time he spent helping my dad grow when he was younger.
I hope to measure up to his stature. I hope that some day I can look back and be proud of what I have done with his name - the Gibbons' name.
Until we meet again Grandpa,
Steve
Thursday, November 6, 2008
Grandpa Gibbons
Posted by
Gibbodog
at
1:07 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
Steve!We are so sorry for your loss. We were heartbroken when Michael's Pawpaw passed away in May, and I am sorry you have to feel the same pain. As you said, we all stand on the shoulders of those who went before us and we honor them by living the lessons they've taught us. Hugs.
Your friends,
Mike and Sundey
Post a Comment