Ed: Steve wrote this.
What a whirlwind.
We went to Dallas for a month - 30 days to be precise. I was doing an Orthopedic Surgery rotation at Parkland Hospital (UT Southwestern) as a way to not only check out the program there, but to let them check me out to see if I am what they are looking for.
I won't bore you with details, but I was busy. I would get up at 3 or 330 depending on the day, and get home around 6-8, also depending on the day. Then I would go to bed at 9ish, and repeat all over again. No days off. On call (there overnight) every 4th night. Aye Caramba.
It was great. I liked the residents. I liked the staff. I love the hospital. I grew up in Dallas so I like the city. Overall, a fabulous experience.
But it got me to thinking.
I missed my wife. I missed my kids. I didn't have much time to spend with them while there. My dear Jazmin did everything - and I mean everything. I didn't do any cooking, cleaning, laundry, putting kids to bed - NOTHING. I wish I could have helped, but I was in bed by 9pm to get 6 hours of sleep. I don't know if there has been another time in our relationship when she was so burdened by my schedule. But you know what? She didn't say a word. No complaints. No arguing over me going to bed so early. In fact, toward the end she was even making my lunch for me so I could finish strong.
I sometimes wonder if this is fair. Well, I wonder about it a LOT. I do the thing I love - medicine - and she takes care of the house and kids. Why do I get my preference and she has to wait for me to finish? Why do I dictate our schedule? Who made that rule? Surely she has every right to be mad, or to resent me for the time I am gone.
Ah, but that's just it. She doesn't. She supports me. I tell her the night I am not coming home because I am on call, and she does the rest. There is an old saying that behind every good man is a great woman. World, meet Jazmin Roselia.
I love her for that. I married her because of 1,948,735,894 things. Sorry, 1,948,735,895 things. But the reason that I love her more and more each day is exemplified in this past month. What would I do without her? Who does more for me than her?
And my kids, my beautiful kids. Olivia hugs me tight and says "Daddy don't go" when I am putting on my running shoes. She looks just like mommy. Has her sassy attitude. Matthew wants to go outside and ride his scooter with me. He has lost his two middle/bottom teeth. His shorts are too short b/c he's growing exponentially from so many hot dogs. They want a puppy. They love Spongebob.
It's good to be home. It's good to be together. There are busy days and boring days. But through it all, whether the thunder and lightning are just beginning or at full force, the calm from the storm, the sun on the horizon, are Olivia Rose, Matthew Steven, and Jazmin Roselia.
Sunday, August 30, 2009
End of August, Back in San Antonio
Posted by
Unknown
at
3:19 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
So sweet! I'm glad you wrote this Steve so that some day your kids can read it and see how much you love and appreciate Jazmin.
That was one of the sweetest post I have ever read. I am sure Jazmin loved to read how much you appreciate her. Sometimes as mothers we got lost in the day to day events of taking care of our kids and our husband and need to hear that we are appreciated. Jazmin obviously is a wonderful mother and wife!
The good news is that you won't have to work like that forever--not even through all of residency thank goodness. So tell Jazmin(who is definitely a rock star!)there is hope on the horizon! And it is worth it-- especially when you have a husband who loves what he does--that ends up being a positive for the whole family!
Oh my goodness, I just read your last two posts. You guys are so wondeful. I was almost in tears at the end of Jazmin's last post and couldn't believe how sweet Steve is! What a great husband and a great wife! AND great kids. Apparently you guys are really great! :) We sure miss all you wonderful people! Thank you for your example
Steve, you are such a girl....
lol jk. But seriously, I miss your crazy family SO much. It was so fun being neighbors with you guys and getting so close to ya'll. Hang in there, you are almost done med school!!
Then we can figure out where we can all live in the same neighborhood again :)
Post a Comment