Saturday, September 26, 2009

To Memphis We Go


Hello America.

I am in Memphis, Tennessee, right now doing an Orthopedic Surgery rotation. It's similar to what I was doing in Dallas for a month, except for a couple of things. First, I am not living at my mother in law's house. That means food is not as good.

Secondly, I am alone. No wife and kids. No screaming when I walk in the door. No kisses at night.

But, it is only for a month, and we will see each other soon. In the meantime, I thought I would show a little about the 11 hour drive from San Antonio to Memphis...

The sun coming up on I-35 Northbound to Dallas. I love Texas.



Lake Ray Hubbard, just east of my hometown of Mesquite, TX.



The pine trees of East Texas. People have thick accents here.



Yes, I was alone in the car, and yes, I was taking pics while driving. But it was from my phone, so I didn't have to look, just push the button. Safe driving only!




Welcome to Arkansas, where the highway suddenly becomes crappy and there are slow drivers. I also thought it was interesting that when you pass through a certain small town there is a big sign that says "Welcome to Hope, Birthplace of President Bill Clinton." Whatever.
I stopped for gas near Little Rock, and there were a ton of grass hoppers on the gas station pump.

The bridge that leads over the mighty Mississippi into Tennessee.


So there you have it. I am living in a small dorm room with a fridge, stove, and bathroom. No microwave, which didn't bother me until I found out it takes 30 minutes to cook a hot pocket. Ridiculous. The microwave is a gift we should never take for granted.

2 comments:

The Shirleys said...

Hey, I recongize lots of those picture of east Texas! Andy's parent live out by Tyler and Longview, and we have made the treck up into Arkansas before.

Good luck with your rotation. I am sure you will be done and home before you know it!

Ben said...

So funny. Those were big grasshoppers. So, we're going to have to have a big talk with you guys about the logistics of away rotations.